The only question is… dark chocolate or white chocolate?
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- splash of vanilla essence/extract
- 1 and 1/4 cup (185g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- a combination of dark chocolate & white chocolate, chopped into chunks
- flaky salt
- Over low heat, melt butter over the stove. While whisking, continue to cook butter until it foams then subsides. The butter will eventually become lightly browned and specks will form at the bottom of your pan. It’s done when it has a nutty aroma—pour it into a bowl to avoid cooking any further and burning.
- Combine brown butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a bowl and stir together.
- Add in egg and vanilla essence/extract, and stir until smooth.
- Sift flour, matcha powder, and baking soda into wet ingredients and gently fold in.
- Fold in your chocolate chunks.
- Cover and chill dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, then preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop out mounds of dough onto a baking sheet, leaving at least two inches between each cookie. You can also add extra chocolate chunks to your cookie dough mounds.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, taking care that they don’t brown excessively.
- Let cool (they’ll fall apart if they’re piping hot, but you can enjoy them while warm) before eating.
- You’re done!