When I was living in Canada, I used to frequent Starbucks from my office—my daily order would be a Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew and a slice of Lemon Loaf. We don’t have Starbucks where I live now (arguably we have better coffee here anyway), but I miss my routine order. This is a copycat recipe of the Starbucks Lemon Loaf—at least I think so anyway. I can’t remember what theirs tastes like anymore.
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- splash of vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk—or alternatively, add 1 tsp of white vinegar to regular milk
- zest & juice of a lemon
- 1 & 1/2 cup (225g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- glaze: 1 cup (130g) powdered sugar, 1 tbsp milk, 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Cream together room temperature butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice. If mixture begins to curdle, don’t worry—it’s supposed to look like that.
- Sift in flour and baking powder and gently fold in. (Optional: add poppyseeds at this step.)
- Transfer batter to loaf tin and preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into loaf comes out clean.
- Let loaf cool completely, then make glaze and pour over entire loaf.
- You’re done!
2 thoughts on “lemon loaf”
Will definitely try your recipes. Thanks, Audrey!
Thanks so much! You are the best! I love your recipes. And everyone around me loves me for making such and amazing desserts! Thanks again 🙂