ghost design inspired by the simple sweet life.
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 cup corn syrup
- 2/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup + 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp gelatin powder
- a dash of vanilla or vanilla essence (or any other flavouring)
- corn starch for dusting
- food colouring for decorating
- Dissolve gelatin powder in 1 tbsp of water, and set aside.
- Add corn syrup, granulated sugar, and remaining water into a saucepan, swirling to combine. You don’t need to stir it at all, just keep it on low heat and keep an eye on it.
- In the meantime, start beating your egg white until it starts to become foamy.
- When your sugar syrup has thickened and has started to bubble slowly, stir in your gelatin. It will foam up and steam, so be careful.
- Slowly pour your sugar syrup into your egg white, and then continue beating until stiff peaks form and the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Transfer mixture into a piping bag and pipe your shapes onto a baking sheet covered in cornstarch.
- Using food colouring and toothpicks, draw your designs onto your marshmallows.
- Dust the entire surface of your marshmallows with cornstarch until they are no longer sticky — I usually like to roll them around a few times to make sure they are covered. Then dust of the excess.
- You’re done!